• Provide learners with the knowledge, understanding, skills and application techniques that they need to be successful in their work as qualified accounting technicians in the public sector.
• Provide the employer with lifelong learners who are confident and independent, literate, numerate, multi-skilled, compassionate, with a respect for the environment and the ability to participate in their work as critical and active employees.
• Provide the public sector with professionally qualified, skilled staff, who are able to make a positive contribution to improving public finance management, to add value to their departments and to contribute to the efficiency and productivity of the government of South Africa.
Poor financial management in the public sector has for years been highlighted by role players in the financial sector such as the Minister of Finance, the chairperson of SCOPA and the Auditor General.
The quality of financial statements, lack of understanding of basic internal controls, ineffective internal audit departments and the limited knowledge of accounting and financial principles are only some of the matters, which contribute to poor financial management practices.
This qualification aims at addressing the need for transformation through training; to enhance the skills and competencies of government accounting staff that in turn will contribute to the efficiency and productivity of government.
The qualification specifically aims at addressing the following issues:
• To prioritise and maximise the effective use of State resources.
• To focus on outputs in relation to community needs.
• To shift from cash accounting to accrual accounting.
• To allow managers to manage and be accountable.
Accountant, Accounts administrators, Bookkeepers, Creditor clerk, Debtor Clerk, financial Administrators in the public sector environment
1. Bookkeeping to Trial Balance
2. Public Accounting Administration
3. Computerized Bookkeeping
4. Business Literacy
5. Financial Statements
6. Cost and Management Accounting
7. Technical Public Accounting
8. Business Law and Accounting Control
NSC or Any CERTIFICATE AT NQF LEVEL 4 -5